NB: The wrap post for #NordicFINDS with the full list of all books reviewed can be seen here.
Finally, my project for five weeks of reading Nordic literature is here.
‘FINDS’ – stands for Finland, Iceland, Norway, Denmark & Sweden.
For me, reading Nordic literature really began in the 1990s, when a few modern novels began to appear in translation in English. Some of them went on to become huge bestsellers. I’ve been a fan of contemporary Nordic fiction ever since. I know that there is much more
One of my plans for the project is to revisit those ‘gateway’ novels for me, and hopefully each week feature at least one more novel from each country. It’d be lovely if you’d care to readalong with me, or read any Nordic fare during the challenge.
Here are my gateway books and weekly themes:
- Jan 3-9 – DENMARK – Miss Smila’s Feeling for Snow by Peter Høeg (1992, 1993 in Eng)
- Jan 10-16 – NORWAY – Sophie’s World by Jostein Gaarder (1991, 1994 in Eng.)
- Jan 17-23 – SWEDEN – Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (2007) – also film comparison Sw vs US versions
- Jan 24-30 – FINLAND – My first Finnish reads have been recent, so I will read The Summer Book by Tove Jansson for the first time instead.
- Jan 31- Feb 6 – ICELAND – Jar City by Arnaldur Indridason
Fiction and Non-fiction are welcome, and don’t feel you have to match the countries to the weeks like I am. Reading any book from any of the five countries at any time during the project will be welcome. This post will remain sticky, so do leave your links in the comments, and I’ll compile a master list for the project of everyone’s reviews, and if tweeting etc, please do use the hashtag #NordicFINDS – thank you.
I hope you enjoy Nordic reading this January with me.
Kippis! Skál! Jubel! Skål! Skål! – Cheers!
And here are the links to all the books reviewed (let me know if I’ve left yours off).
- Havoc by Tom Kristensen – Thoughts on Papyrus
- Island by Siri Ranva Hjelm Jacobsen – Lizzy’s Literary Life
- Minna Needs Rehearsal Space by Dorthe Nors- AnnaBookBel
- Miss Smilla’s Feeling for Snow – by Peter Høeg
- The Copenhagen Trilogy by Tuve Ditlevsen – You Might as Well Read
- Childhood (Copenhagen Trilogy #1) – Kaggsy’s Bookish Ramblings
- The Last Good Man by AJ Kazinski – The Content Reader
- The Murder of Halland by Pia Juul – AnnaBookBel
- Dark as My Heart by Antti Tuomainen – You May As Well Read
- Moominsummer Madness by Tove Jansson – Calmgrove
- Notes from an Island by Tove Jansson and Tuulikki Pietila – Kaggsy’s Bookish Ramblings
- The Healer by Antti Tuomainen – AnnaBookBel
- The Iron Age by Arja Kajermo – Lizzy’s LIterary Life
- The Rabbit Back Literature Society by Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen – AnnaBookBel
- The Rabbit Factor by Antti Tuomainen – Lizzy’s LIterary Life
- The Summer Book by Tove Jansson – AnnaBookBel
- Butterflies in November by Auður Ava Ólafsdóttir – AnnaBookBel
- Jar City by Arnaldur Indridason – AnnaBookBel
- Moonstone: The Boy Who Never Was by Sjón – Calmgrove
- Red Milk by Sjón – Lizzy’s Literary LIfe
- The Book of Reykjavik by various authors – Lizzy’s Literary Life, Liz Dexter
- The Heaven and Hell Trilogy by Jón Kalman Stefánsson – Liz Dexter
- The Museum of Whales You Will Never See by A Kendra Greene (NF) – Liz Dexter
- The Promise of Iceland by Kari Gislason (NF) – Liz Dexter
- A Woman in the Polar Night by Christiane Ritter (NF) – Liz Dexter
- The Birds by Targei Vesaas – Lizzy’s Literary Life
- Girls Against God by Jenny Hval
- The Ice Palace by Targei Vesaas – AnnaBookBel, Winston’s Dad
- Love by Hanna Ørestavik – Reading and Watching the World
- Novel 11, Book 18 by Dag Solstad – You MIght as Well Read
- Sophie’s World by Jostein Gaarder – The Content Reader, AnnaBookBel, Bookish Beck
- The Faster I Walk, The Smaller I Am by Kjersti A Skomsvold – Cathy at 746 Books
- The World According to Anna by Jostein Gaarder – Calmgrove
- A moth to a flame by Stig Dagerman – Imogen at Reading and Watching the World
- Döstädning: The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning by Margareta Magnusson – Bookish Beck
- Harbour by John Ajvide Lindqvist – Cathy at 746 Books
- Some Kind of Company by Nan Östman
- Roseanna (Martin Beck 1) by Maj Sjöwall & Per Wahlöö – Cathy at 746 Books
- The Man on the Balcony (Martin Beck 3) by Maj Sjöwall & Per Wahlöö – Lizzy’s LIterary Life
- The Man Who Went Up in Smoke (Martin Beck 2) by Maj Sjöwall & Per Wahlöö – Lizzy’s Literary LIfe
- The Room by Jonas Karlsson
- Magnetic North by Sara Wheeler (NF) – LIz Dexter
- River Kings: The Vikings from Scandinavia to the Silk Roads by Kat Jarman – Liz Dexter