Issue 11 of Shiny New Books was published this morning – I got up early to do most of the admin, and then went back to bed!
This issue, with everyone still reeling after the Brexit vote, the Shiny Eds had a great discussion about European Culture on the page and screen. It would be lovely if any of you want to join in and post a comment on that post – head off over here. We really do ♥ your comments.
As always, I’ve contributed a handful of reviews:
- A Hero in France by Alan Furst, WWII Paris and the French Resistance
- Blood Wedding by Pierre Lemaitre, trans Frank Wynne – a standalone psychothriller.
- Paradise Lodge by Nina Stibbe, her follow up to A Man at the Helm is a gentle comedy.
- The Girls by Emma Cline – possibly this summer’s most hyped novel.
- To the Bridge Edge of the World by Eowyn Ivey – simply magical! (10/10)
- The Wonderful Adventure of Nils Holgersson by Selma Lagerlöf – A Swedish children’s classic in a new translation.
With 58 pages of new reviews and articles, I hope that you’ll find something in Shiny New Books to add to your wishlists!